The ISO/IEC 11801 serves as a template for the European cabling standard EN 50173. In terms of structure, however, this time the international standardization body has used the European standard series EN 50173 as basis. Like these (and their German version DIN EN 50173), ISO/IEC 11801 now consists of six parts:
- ISO/IEC 11801-1 Part 1: General Requirements (replaces the ISO/IEC 11801 of 2002)
- ISO/IEC 11801-2 Part 2: Office premises (replaces the ISO/IEC 11801 of 2002)
- ISO/IEC 11801-3 Part 3: Industrial premises (replaces the ISO/IEC 24702)
- ISO/IEC 11801-4 Part 4: Single Tenant Homes (replaces the ISO/IEC 15018)
- ISO/IEC 11801-5 Part 5: Data Centers (replaces the ISO/IEC 24764)
- ISO/IEC 11801-6 Part 6: Distributed Building Services (new standard section)
The cabling classes I and II have been added with the components of categories 8.1 and 8.2 as well as multi-mode glass fibres of category OM5. The fibre categories OM1, OM2 and OS1 are not recommended for new installations according to this standard. Optical link classes "OF -..." are no longer included, but there is a table with the permissible attenuation values and cable lengths for fibre optic cabling for this purpose. The 8-pin, X-coded M12 connector was also added.